Thursday, November 7, 2013

...a letter to my sister's children....

Introducing....my 3 favorite littles who happen to be my sister's children. As these three have been on my mind much lately, I've decided to write this post for them. As I take a bazillion pictures of everything, I have precisely 1/2 million of each of these guys. So..there will be lots of pictures and love included.


To my Bubs, my Calamanders, and my niecey Reesey,

I'm not quite sure if I will ever be able to verbalize the way I feel about each of you, but I will sure try. Let me clarify that I know I'm not your parent and that I really had no part in your creation or entering into this world. But it should be known, I love you more than I can tell you or show you. That being said, I won't ever stop trying to make sure you know that. The day each of you were born is stamped on my heart. I've been known to be a baby-lover and that just will never change. But the love I felt for you on your first day in the world was new to me. I have no children of my own and I'm the youngest sibling. Before you, I never got to watch a baby grow month after month under the heart of a sister I love so much. I never watched an infant meet each milestone in the first year, never watched a small child learn step after step how to walk, and never watched a toddler form a personality all their own. You were new to the world and the love for you was and continues to be so new to me.



Weston Dean
July 5, 2006

    


               

                        



                                            Callan Mack
                                   February 24, 2009






Reese Rebecca
January 17, 2012





 Unless others have nephews or nieces of their own, it is hard for them to explain why or how I love you as much as I do. You each will know what I mean someday when your siblings have babies of their own. I've always loved my sister, your beautiful momma.





So when you were born, I was not even surprised by why I loved you so. You were a part of her...another piece of her for me to love. I spend a lot of my time with you three amigos. And I love it! But since I am 25...not everyone gets why I spend Friday nights snuggled up watching movies with you or why I spend my Saturday afternoons hanging out at your house. But I do...and I imagine I will continue to spend any extra time I get with you. You are family and the relationships I form with each of you are important to me. I hope as you grow you will continue to have happy thoughts of our day dates and movie nights and walks in the park.




 








I won't always have as much free time because someday I will have a family of my own and as you have taught me--children and families take up boatloads of time (and give endless love back in return). The 3 of you will always have a front row seat in my heart and my life though.And I'm beyond confident you already know that.






 
By default....I loved you the minute I first snuggled you. It was impossible not to with your chubby cheeks and baby grunts and itty bitty fingers.
 But what I loved most was that you each were a blank slate, a fresh start, a new life with such a future ahead of you I had a hard time grasping what it meant. You had a personality at day 1. 







And I continue to be pleasantly surprised at how your personalities as babies have carried over into toddlerhood and even more so into your childhood. 





Weston (aka- Bubs, BubbaSparks)- the silly, sensitive blondie with a knack for making everyone laugh






Cal (aka-Dinobaby, CalMack, Calamanders)- the thoughtful sweetheart with the Boston-accent and dimples that will make you melt














 

And the baby...Reese(aka Reesey, Reeseala, niecey Reesey, Beasty Reesey)- the determined and fiesty little girl with the big bows, blue eyes, and best giggle in town












 

Being an aunt to you has become one of my greatest joys. And it's not a job I take lightly. I hope to be of as much guidance to you as I can from my perch over here in aunt-ville. I cannot wait to see the adults you become and the things you do with your life. You are just 3 people in the world, but I hope you know you can make a difference. Our family will be sure to remind you of that along the way. Growing up is pretty tough and you are sure to forget that every now and again, but I know you will come back to it. You have brought a light to our family...a happiness...a much-needed focus. It's not easy raising kids...but your mom and dad have done a pretty great job so far. So be sure to thank them someday:) They've let a village help raise you....grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, great-grandparents, great-aunts/uncles, great-cousins. I'm just one member of that big village, but I'm forever grateful to be in your lives.




















 
Thank you for always being you. You've taught me more about love. You...with your little quirks and your big sloppy kisses and your belly laughs. You sneaky little ones...you make me love you more every time I see you. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact, there is everything right with it.




 
I know I didn't bring you into this world. I didn't endure months of pregnancy, I didn't born you (as you would say), and I didn't give you your name. I'm not your mom or your dad. But I do love you. I'm your aunt and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Love you the moon and back..and more and more and more,
Auntie Jenna


P.S. I think you are the cutest things that have ever walked this earth.


Oh, and my apologies Reesey for always dressing you in "I love my aunt" clothes. I just simply couldn't help myself. Plus...I knew you loved me so it wasn't false advertising..I promise!


















No comments:

Post a Comment